Friday, February 27, 2009

Mixed CD Story

As I lay covered in my warm quilt, Van Morrison and my father’s voice meld together and vibrate off the walls. I hear my brother’s voices yelling, “STOP” as I pull my pillow over my face. The early morning sun seeps into my room and brightens the walls. Luckily, these are not my only memories of Van Morrison’s music. Many warm summer nights brought my family together at my old house for barbeques. We would eat, drink and talk while I snuck scraps to my dogs under the table, my neighbor would walk over and we would all play cards. When I was younger, I never spent time on the computer or electronics. Growing up with two brothers, I was always active. We would ride bikes, build forts, paint and hurl rocks out of slingshots at the neighbor’s rose bushes. Being the youngest allowed me to never worry. I always had someone there for me. Now that I am older, and have more responsibility, I miss the carefree times of being a child. Everyone must grow up at some point, but Van Morrison reminds me of the “good old days” of togetherness. My brothers were always skateboarding. When they had to babysit me, I tagged along with them to the many schools they snuck into to skate. One of the earliest songs I liked was “Jack and Diane” because it was the theme songs in one of their skate videos. My brothers are pro skaters now and we all think of the same memories when we hear that song. As I grew older, my brothers moved out and I turned to music for something to do. I watched festivals that would play in the summer and it made me happy. I started learning instruments and fell in love with playing.

1 comment:

  1. i liked your story. you were descriptive and explained the meaning of each song very well.

    ReplyDelete